Saturday, May 7, 2011

Finding Light

Photography is my hobby. By that I mean, for me, the making of photographs treads a fine line between passion and obsession. It is my creative outlet and a constant struggle. I try to force myself to take photos, and it's not until I am calm that I can make my best photos. Of course there's those times when I need to get something off of my chest: I'm upset and focused. My mixed feelings come together and end up in my better work as well.

Yesterday, I learned a valuable lesson. I wanted to make a great to photograph: I looked for 'good light,' an uncluttered background, and a great angle. My first attempt was around two in the afternoon. Not so great because the light was to hard. A little bit later I came back to the same spot and tried again. Better, but not what I was looking for. There was no chance for a photo I could live with. Ce la vie.



And in one last attempt, I found another subject. Of course, the subject wasn't right. The light, however, was. I made my way back to my previous German subject, waited, and walked around. I had the right light and background, but the angles were wrong (to my eye). And then finally I saw what I wanted. The light was beautiful, the angle was terrific, but of course there was a cluttered background. I took the photo despite it, and ended up exactly with what I wanted: a nice photograph of a beautiful car. It's not perfect, but I worked hard to get that much with nothing more than my camera and 'free,' quickly fading light.


The lesson learned: sometimes there really isn't a photo there, or I'm just not in the mood. No matter how much I struggle there's so much to be done. I can look, experiment, move myself physically, and there's nothing I can do but wait. Wait for either the light to be right, the mood to be right, or even for a more interesting subject. Of course someone could go into detail regarding artificial lights, reflectors, and 'pro' jobs that need to be done no matter what. In that case, you need the right tools for the job. In my case, I am trying to learn about finding a quality of (natural) light. And I'm just a little bit closer to my goal.

Please feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment