Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Faces of Creativity

There are days when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I can't get to work on time, there isn't enough money to do all that I'd like to do, and even food doesn't sound appetizing. Every time there's a glimmer of hope for the day to improve, something has to happen to keep it as crappy as it was that morning.

Let's be honest, though. There's no wrong side of the bed (unless, of course, it's underneath). I make my own state of mind from the moment I open my eyes. A rough morning can be perpetuated by a negative attitude. On the flip side, I can make the most of that kind of day. Sometimes life wants to be taken by the scruff of the neck. I'll take that anger and frustration, tweak it some, and come up with something interesting.

A couple of ways I sort things out is with a long walk or to talk with my wife; on the other hand, I also use that feeling to express myself through writing and photography. A positive attitude is crucial for the long run, but that same raw energy can transform into something unexpected: thought suddenly becomes reality. Or in my case, I create a photograph that is 'off-kilter' or 'eerie.' My usual dreamy photographs end up on the nightmare end of the spectrum. This is a subtle result, but one I like nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment