Monday, February 14, 2011

Happenstance


There are times when I'm surprised at the impact a photo can have. A captured moment in time can inspire action, evoke emotion, or just leave you in awe. There are timeless photos that define a generation while others define a culture or sub-culture. Regardless of the intent or result, photography can be whatever you want it to be. I enjoy documenting family events, but fine art photography has a special place in my heart. I take how I feel about a subject and the excitement of the moment to create something from within me.

My preferred style of shooting is happenstance: a photo that may not have happened had I waited a fraction of a second longer. It's easy to see something interesting, but difficult to subsequently pull the camera up (while distance focusing), compose, dial in the aperture/shutter speed, and finally take the photo. Sometimes I know that something is going to happen, and just watch. At other times, I know the exposure is close enough to capture a photo to make sure I have it. Some moments are too beautiful to pass by.



No comments:

Post a Comment