Monday, February 21, 2011

Taken Out of Context


I'm a big fan of photo walks. Whether by myself or with a couple friends, being out and about gets those creative juices flowing. The fresh air and sun help improve my mood more than you would think.

All that is leading up to today's topic of taking a scene out of context. Take the photograph above as an example. Taken at a local park, there is a parking lot and a wall separating the park from Home Depot on either side of the photo. Neither impacted my photo besides framing. I could just as easily have been walking through a forest.

Composition and simplicity go hand in hand. The problem lies in wanting to say everything in one photo. Only the photographer, in this case me, knows the entire story. I choose which part to tell and how to tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment